Saturday, April 23, 2005

Rucker GATE Open House a resounding success

I would like to thank everybody who helped to make yesterday's GATE Open House at Rucker a resounding success. I expected perhaps 20 people. My wife, who was a bit more pessimistic, thought that there would only be five to ten. Based on the number of people in the room, and standing outside the door of the room, I would say that there were at least 60 people who attended.

First of all, thanks to Jim Walling. He is the one who really spearheaded this, and got it to happen. Thanks also to the GATE teachers for taking the time out of their personal schedules to do this. Thanks also to Steve Gilbert and Marcia Brown for making the necessary arrangements at the district end.

I found myself answering question after question regarding the identification process, most of those questions were something like "What happens now?". There were also a lot of questions about what makes the Rucker program different than other schools, and a lot of questions about the future of the GATE program district-wide. My informal straw poll of parents indicates that there is a lot of interest in the self-contained GATE program.

There will be another GATE Open House on May 12, and the official Rucker Open House on May 26.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home